1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Apr 25 05:08:23 UTC 2012

There's no easy way of checking a significant number of newspapers to see if they ran Archie and withheld the strip on that day.  However, the fact that we've now seen the strip in two different newspapers is significant.  The cartoonist would first have sent the strips to a syndicate, which handled many comic strips and other properties.  After review by an editor, the syndicate would have sent camera ready copy to each subscribing newspaper.  A week or more of strips would be sent at a time.  Each newspaper editor, therefore, would have received this strip days in advance and have had an opportunity to consider if it posed any problems.  If "butthole" was as offensive then as it was to become later, I would expect that editors would have complained to the syndicate, in advance of the publication date.

There is an alternative possibility, but I do not think it likely.  Cartoonists sometimes prepare an alternative strip, in case the scheduled strip offends some editors.  I don't know if this was a practice yet in 1947; I think not, but am not sure.  Anyway, "butthole" was not part of the punch line, and in the sense of "anus" it was probably too offensive even with an alternative.

We just can't get around the fact that, somehow, editors did not find this offensive in 1947.  If it were just one newspaper, there could have been vandalism to the camera ready copy, but its use in multiple newspapers shows that this was the version that came from the syndicate and went through the editorial process.

Is there any possibility that "butthole" could have meant "bottom of the barrel"?  It seems like a logical meaning and would make sense in context, but I expect that the possibility is stymied by a lack of evidence.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:38 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: 1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

A "butt" was a non-objectionable term for a cigarette (whole or partially
consumed), but those butts don't have holes. My feeling is that no family
paper in 1947 would have printed "butt" in the sense of buttocks under any
circumstances.  As a cigarette, no problem.

Wilson, mea culpa re 1904. But the larger point remains. Namely, "What
th'?!"  The "cul de sac" exx. you cite are identical to the quote in OED.

John, Archie - I believe - appeared in many papers. Do we know what the
strip looked like in the others?  If it was missing that day, that would be
good evidence that two editors screwed up.  If not, we're back where we
started.

I don't think the potential "naughtiness" of "quickie" in 1947 could be
compared to that of "butthole."  (It would be different If the phrase had
been something like "tear off a quickie," but AFAIK that idiom is solely
sexual and would have been caught instantly by the editor.  But the editor
should have caught "butthole" too.

And why would Bob Montana want to push his luck and risk his reputation,
perhaps even his career?

The only innocuous alternative explanation seems to be that army veteran
Montana (born 1920 to a show biz family: his mom had been a Ziegfeld girl,
acc. to Wiki) had no conception that "butthole" might have been regarded as
unspeakably vulgar,  and neither did his editors.  Is that even possible?

JL