1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Wed Apr 25 16:28:28 UTC 2012

There are multiple instances of the term "butt holes" before 1960 in
Google Books. But these instances are primarily in the domain of ship
design and ship building/repair. This sense of "butt holes" was active
before the 1940s, in the 1940s, and afterwards it seems based on GB
dates.

Cite: 1899 December 22, Engineering, Edited by W. H. Maw and J.
Dredge, Volume 68, Quote Page 785, London. (Google Books full view)
http://books.google.com/books?id=SeYhAQAAMAAJ&q=%22butt+holes%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
All the frame and butt holes are now transferred to the plate and the
moulds are removed.
[End excerpt]

Title: Ship repair and alteration
Authors: George Vincent Haliday; W E Swanson
Year; 1942 (GB date)
Publisher: Cornell Maritime Press, New York.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ujkEAAAAMAAJ&q=%22butt+holes%22#search_anchor

[Begin excerpts]
Mark in the holes for the molding, punch all butt holes and molding holes, ...

... pitch of the butt holes, and mark in the remaining holes as near
to the pitch required as possible.

After marking the first hole at each end so that they will be fair to
the butt holes, as at C and D, mark the other holes to the pitch
required.
[End excerpts]

Garson