1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 25 17:29:10 UTC 2012

Allow me to recommend HDAS as a more informative source for "bunghole" than
the unrevised OED.

I'll also qualify my previous answer. "Bunghole" would be acceptable in
a cartoon if it referred to the hole in a barrel.  But even the slightest
suggestion of an anatomical meaning would not have passed.

How common was it in the U.S. to refer to a barrel as a "butt"?  I'd think
it was very rare outside the industry.

But the real mysteries for me are how Montana's word got printed and why
anatomical "butthole" was so uncommon before the 1960s.

SWAG:  It was used primarily in the South and Midwest, which were short on
both naturalistic novelists and unflinching dialectologists. Also, IIRC,
even naturalistic novels are scanty on that kind of reference until the
'60s and '70s.  But that doesn't explain what it was doing in "Archie."

JL