OT: German West African colony?

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 27 22:27:34 UTC 2012

Good point. Because Gmail's threading leaves a lot to be desired, I
sometimes miss parts of a conversation because they end up in a different
thread (and, I'm sure, I am not the only one). Usually, clicking on
everything in sight eventually recovers the lost threads, but not always in
time.

As for the distinction between West Africa and Southwest Africa, aside from
administrative tags and general geographic positioning, it is sometimes
hard to parse. It's a question of partitioning into four quadrants vs.
eight "octants", I guess. If you only have four, Namibia can go either into
South or West. But, I'm sure "Southwest Africa" was the correct
administrative nomenclature prior to WWI. [Yes, all German territories,
including the aforementioned ones in Africa, plus New Guinea, some minor
islands and small bits of Asia, were assigned mandates to either European
or large neighboring countries by the League of Nations. I believe, Namibia
was the last of these to become independent.]

VS-)