Co ördinated

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 29 09:13:49 UTC 2012

My take is that the use of special symbols has killed phonetics in USA.  No one teaches phonetics in k-12 in a way that involves "writing" phonetically.  And there's no need for this complication if a simple English based phonetics like truespel phonetics is used.  That's why truespel phonetics was created.  It's the way to go for teaching phonetics.  It's getting some traction in ESL.

At thefreedictionary.com I hear "diearesis" pronounced ~die'urreesis (die-uh-REE-sis) as the US version.  The UK version and the speaker icon version are ~die"airisis (die-AIR-ih-sis)  I would have said the USA version myself.

Tom Zurinskas, Conn 20 yrs, Tenn 3, NJ 33, now Fl 9.
See how English spelling links to sounds at http://justpaste.it/useit