1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 29 16:42:55 UTC 2012

Cultural mystery: given its seeming frequency, why are there so few
references in print to this practice, particularly in the twentieth
century?  With 16,000,000 WW2 veterans in 1945, and thousands interviewed
or writing their own accounts, why does GB seem to show only a dozen refs.?
 Censorship couldn't have been an issue.

I searched GB for "cigarette + hole + sergeant."  Likewise in
NewspaperArchive.  (Most hits were irrelevant to the topic.)

Some may recall my posts of yesteryear querying why "Yeah" (and spelling
variants) hardly ever appears in print before ca1900.  There's no such
problem with the far more notoriously "illiterate" _ain't_.

JL