Research idea - dictionaries

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Aug 1 15:03:03 UTC 2012

I don't know if there might be any really useful information or
pointers in "Websterisms: A Collection of Words and Definitions Set
Forth by the Founding Father of American English", comp. by Arthur
Schulman.  It has introductions by (separately) Jill Lepore and
Schulman.  The latter writes about "Webster vs. Johnson", and I think
both write about description vs. prescription.  There is also
discussion of what Webster wrote about what he was doing, but
unfortunately no footnote citations.  Schulman includes the preface
to Webster's 1828 dictionary, but of course that can be found elsewhere.

Joel