Sacrifice = opportunity cost

Wed Aug 1 20:44:18 UTC 2012

I don't know how closely the two are related. In Christianity, surely, Jehovah had a choice as well in sacrificing his son.

How about these:

I sacrificed my workouts so I could take my son to his football practice.
I sacrificed my cafe latte so I could send five bucks to charity X.
I sacrificed my favorite TV show so I could take piano lessons.
I sacrificed my daily cookie so I could eat spaghetti carbonara.

I think these last two in particular are possible, which seem to indicate that "sacrifice" can take a really watered-down meaning such as opportunity cost or trade-off.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA