Sacrifice = opportunity cost

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Aug 1 22:03:05 UTC 2012

All of these examples bother me a bit, as being very passive
sacrifices -- in contrast to the sons of Abraham and Jehovah, nothing
was at risk of life or limb.  What exactly happened to the cafe latte
when it was sacrificed?  "Surrender" rather than "destruction" (to
use the OED's words)?  The cafe latte was not surrendered (or even
offered) to someone else.  And not even "forfeited" -- it had no existence.

"Forgo" would be my choice* --
5. To abstain or refrain from (some action or procedure);
6. To abstain from, go without, deny to oneself; to let go or pass,
omit to take or use; to give up, part with, relinquish, renounce, resign.

But I suppose we couldn't find anyone today who could say
"forwent".  Or "I had forgone my caffe latte yesterday, but I'm
having withdrawal symptoms today".

Joel

* Of course for the non-P there is the lowbrow "give up".

J the P.