Cali

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 13 06:20:53 UTC 2012

Kevin Drum posted a comment on Danish pork shoulder dish that he could
not identify and quite a number of comments immediately went up to point
out precisely what they thought attracted him to the dish (and to
identify the cut). The comment linked to here was similar to the others:

http://goo.gl/DWm0g
> It is certainly a braised pork shoulder. ...
> You can buy this cut from any good butcher in Cali.  In Europe is is
> usually browned in a pan on stove top than ...

Note the mention of "Cali". Apparently, this really got someone's goat,
because he could not resist to comment.

> I know this is off topic, and I apologize for that, but I just had to
> say something about the term 'Cali'. I presume that this is supposed
> to refer to California and not the area in Colombia from where the
> Cali drug cartel originates. I don't want to sound snobbish, but as a
> native Californian who lived there 48 years and who loves the place,
> the term Cali really rubs me the wrong way. Since your name includes
> Jax, I'm guessing you might be from Flori.

And he just kept going. Several other comments chimed in, some riffing
off his attempt at sarcasm with "Flori". Others came up with their own
peeves about state nicknames, as well as several other comments (and
disagreements) on "Cali". If this is your thing, it's worth checking out
the whole discussion. If not, consider this post to have been a waste of
your time.

     VS-)