You Only Live Once - YOLO

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sun Aug 26 18:30:46 UTC 2012

_The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs_ gives "c.1966" as the early date for "You only go around (round) once in life."

"YOGA OIL," as the young people don't say.

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Laurence Horn [laurence.horn at YALE.EDU]
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2012 9:44 AM

On Aug 26, 2012, at 8:48 AM, Ben Zimmer wrote:

> I take a look at "YOLO" (possible WOTY candidate?) in my latest Boston
> Globe column, citing Garson on the history of the expanded expression.
>=20
> http://b.globe.com/yolobz
>=20
> --bgz

Very nice; I'd only suggest one additional data point for the =
trajectory, the old commercial for Schlitz beer:  "You only go around =
once in life so you've got to grab for all the gusto you can." (with =
possible variants on the wording).  Here's one version of the commercial =
from 1971:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DleKu2vEPvGw
Remember, when you're out of Schlitz you're out of beer.

The "gusto" spot is authoritatively ranked as high as 46th greatest =
commercial of all time: =
http://www.drewbabb.com/100-greatest-commercials/commercials-page-five.htm=
.  And it's not dead; a Google search turns it up in a story about Paul =
Ryan (http://www.journal-advocate.com/sterling-columnists/ci_21318419_), =
and in a sermon suggesting that it (and presumably the YOLO movement =
more generally) represents a paradigm at odds with God's =
(http://www.faithbasedonfacts.org/main/?q=3Dnode/80).=20

LH