British bias in the OED :-)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Dec 17 17:54:36 UTC 2012

On Dec 17, 2012, at 12:29 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:

> Harvard is among the schools that refer to their "athletes" by color.
> There are other "color" schools, but their number pales next to the
> number of schools with animal or human mascots (and a handful of
> "other", such as "Buckeye"). The Tech used to report on team colors,
> although "maroon and gray" may be more of a mouthful than most reporters
> (even college ones) are willing to say.
>
>    VS-)

As far as I can tell, athletes here are not referred to as Blues, a moniker more regularly applied to alums (Old Blues); both current and former students are also Yalies.  That still leaves both Bulldogs (after the mascot, who is personally [or caninically] known as Handsome Dan N, where N is some Roman numeral) and Elis (after the founder, Eli(hu) Yale, whence "Bulldog Bulldog Bow-wow-wow, Eli Yale".
Either an embarrassment of riches or just an embarrassment, depending on your perspective.

LH