British bias in the OED :-)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 17 17:29:23 UTC 2012

Harvard is among the schools that refer to their "athletes" by color.
There are other "color" schools, but their number pales next to the
number of schools with animal or human mascots (and a handful of
"other", such as "Buckeye"). The Tech used to report on team colors,
although "maroon and gray" may be more of a mouthful than most reporters
(even college ones) are willing to say.

     VS-)