"Whole Nine Yards" Article Finally in New York Times Print

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Dec 29 12:39:10 UTC 2012

The article about the discoveries about "the whole nine yards" / "whole six yards" by Bonnie Taylor-Blake and me finally appeared in the print New York Times today.  It had been slated for page A1 a few days ago but got bumped off.  Today it's on page C1, the first page of the Arts section.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/books/the-whole-nine-yards-seeking-a-phrases-origin.html?adxnnl=1&ref=todayspaper&adxnnlx=1356783853-CRw5BL/J/QnpVvjVcXlHwg

In addition to referring to Jesse Sheidlower, Ben Zimmer, Sam Clements, and ADS-L and linking to Barry Popik's website, the article also mentions Jon Lighter's Historical Dictionary of American Slang.  Thanks to Ben Zimmer for giving me the name of Jenny Schuessler when I asked him who was the best person on the Times to approach about doing this article.

Fred Shapiro
Editor
YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS (Yale University Press)