'Texes' as plural of 'text (message)'

Darla Wells lethe9 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 2 16:20:44 UTC 2012

I used to hear it a lot in Wichita Falls, Texas, among some of the
African-Americans and have also heard it on rap cds when people fall deeply
into the vernacular. Plus, sometimes people I knew in the projects there
(of whatever background) would say it--occasionally tongue in cheek but not
always.
Darla

2012/2/2 Damien Hall <D.Hall at kent.ac.uk>

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Damien Hall <D.Hall at KENT.AC.UK>
> Subject:      'Texes' as plural of 'text (message)'

> Darla asked:
>
> 'Is that like the way one hears "breastes" in place of "breasts"?'
>
> I've never heard that myself, but, if 'breastes' sounds like 'bresses',
> then yes, that's the same phenomenon.  Is 'bresses' for 'breasts' common -
> and with whom?  Any other examples?
>
> Damien
>
> --
>
> Damien Hall
>
> University of Kent (UK)
> Leverhulme Early Career Fellow, 'Towards a New Linguistic Atlas of France'
>
> English Language and Linguistics, School of European Culture and Languages
>
> Please think about coming to our conference, and tell people about it! Sat
> 5 May 2012:
> www.facebook.com/ELL.conference.2012

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning. -Catherine Aird