Deathbed Quote: This Is No Time for Making New Enemies

Fri Feb 3 09:16:33 UTC 2012

Victor Steinbok wrote:
> Here's one for Voltaire, apparently from 1972 (internal reference seem to
> confirm the date, but it's not entirely clear).
> http://goo.gl/hs6xM

Great! Many thanks, Victor. The 1972 cite for Voltaire is probably
correct, but there is no easy way for me to verify it. A few remote
(to me) libraries seem to have the report on microfiche. In any case,
it is accurate to say that the Voltaire ascription dates to the 1970s
or earlier because there is also a verified cite in 1974.

Cite: Circa 1972, Report of the 104th annual Trades Union Congress,
held in the Dome, Brighton, from September 4th to 8th 1972, president
George Smith, Trades Union Congress, London. (Google Books snippet;
Data may be inaccurate)
[Begin extracted text]
I am reminded of Voltaire on his deathbed. Approached by a priest, who
said, "You are dying. Would you now care to denounce Satan and all his
works?", Voltaire replied, "If I am dying, it seems this is no time to
make unnecessary enemies."
[End extracted text]

The same phrasing for the Voltaire anecdote is used in a 1975 book.
It's not easy for me to access this book either.

Cite: Circa 1975, The Commonwealth by Peter Bernard Harris, GB Page 3,
Longman, London. (Google Books snippet; Not verified on paper) link
http://books.google.com/books?id=MqIVAQAAIAAJ&q=deathbed#search_anchor
[Begin excerpt]
When chided by some 'anti-colonial' powers because of their continued
membership of the Commonwealth, on the grounds that the Commonwealth
was not revolutionary enough perhaps some states have in mind the
reported reply of Voltaire on his deathbed that it was then no time to
make unnecessary enemies.
[End excerpt]

> Here's an odd "Russian" version.
>
> http://goo.gl/WKLk2

The 1963 citation is interesting, but it has a different meaning as you noted.

Cite: Circa 1963, The Cossacks by Barbara Bartos-Höppner. (Google
Books snippet view; Data may be inaccurate)
I don't think the 1963 citation quite conforms to the anecdote.
[Begin extracted text]
'You can go home.'
Boris and Alexei were incredulous. 'You're going to let that devil go free?'
'Yes. I don't want to make any more enemies in Perm than I have to. He
has been punished sufficiently.' Mitya untied his bonds.
'Go home,' repeated Yermak to the old man and pointed in the direction
in which they had come yesterday. Then the Cossacks mounted and rode
off. Mitya was the last. He could see how the old man crept up to the
slain Votyaks, how he looked into their faces and then lifted the
survivor on to his back.
[End extracted text]

> One version refers to a dying man (by name, but I don't know who), but this
> one differs slightly and the meaning is completely different--"Where I am
> going, it's best not to make those kinds of enemies". But I can't find the
> passage at this moment. Perhaps you'll have better luck.

Below might be the match that you found.

The Great Rock 'N' Roll Joke Book (1997)
http://books.google.com/books?id=X5AW9jw9L-cC&q=headed#v=snippet&
[Begin extracted text]
But his brother, the preacher, did come to attend to him in his final
crisis. "Steven, you must repent," his brother insisted. "You must
renounce the devil and all his works. You must accept Christ, and with
the life you've led, you must reject Satan!" "I'm sorry," said his
brother, "but I just can't do that. Where I'm headed, it's best not to
make those kinds of enemies."
[End extracted text]

Thanks for your help
Garson