Deathbed Quote: This Is No Time for Making New Enemies

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 2 22:55:09 UTC 2012

Here's one for Voltaire, apparently from 1972 (internal reference seem to
confirm the date, but it's not entirely clear).

http://goo.gl/hs6xM

Here's an odd "Russian" version.

http://goo.gl/WKLk2

One version refers to a dying man (by name, but I don't know who), but this
one differs slightly and the meaning is completely different--"Where I am
going, it's best not to make those kinds of enemies". But I can't find the
passage at this moment. Perhaps you'll have better luck.

There is also a passage in Beaumont & Fletcher's Valentinian, where one
character refuses to defend himself, facing a certain death, and comments,
"I have no power to make such enemies". It's not quite the same situation,
but there is some superficial resemblance.

VS-)