The incredulous Tom Brady

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Feb 11 22:34:00 UTC 2012

On Feb 11, 2012, at 3:57 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> "The incredulous kid quarterback, who hoisted his first Lombardi
> Trophy 10 years ago, is going to turn 35 in August."
>
> Christopher L. Gasper, on the front page of the Boston Globe Sports
> section today.
>
> Although the OED allows (allowed?) "2.a. Not to be believed; =
> incredible adj.", it calls it "Obs."  I think any writer today should
> prefer "incredible".
>
> Perhaps Gasper meant to contrast Brady with another controversial
> Boston professional athlete, Tim Thomas, who, as a libertarian who
> strongly supports the Catholic Church's position against the
> requirement for Catholic agencies to provide contraceptive coverage
> in their health insurance policies for employees, is very likely not
> in-credulous.

Thomas also refused to join his teammates in their White House visit because he didn't want to be in the same room as Obama, and has stated that the person he'd most like to have dinner with is Glenn Beck.  So when Beck is elected president, Thomas will deign to visit the White House, assuming he times his next Stanley Cup victory right.

LH