origin of dese dem dose in NYCE

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 12 19:56:14 UTC 2012

I thought the Dutch in the now-city were more "urbane" (traders and
craftsmen) and the ones on the river were farmers. The patrician estates
came later, as the earlier settlers claimed primacy over the later ones.
There is a recent article (2005) connecting American porches to
Old-World Dutch architecture, spreading from the Hudson Valley out. It
might be useful in getting at some of that history. http://goo.gl/x9qIN

     VS-)

NB: The link is only to the first page in JSTOR. Most libraries do not
subscribe to Winterhur Portfolio, so the article may have to be obtained
through ILL, if you need it.