origin of dese dem dose in NYCE

Sun Feb 12 23:27:01 UTC 2012

Don't forget  that TH-stopping isn't unique to NYC.  It's found in nearly every large, industrial Northern city I can think of--and they all attracted a multitude of ethnic groups without theta or eth, so which group started it isn't easy to determine.   NYC does have more dentalization of apico-alveolar consonants than most (though I associate the extension to all /t d n/ with Italian-Americans within this area), but Philly also does this, at least.

Paul Johnston