origin of dese dem dose in NYCE

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 13 16:40:53 UTC 2012

On Feb 13, 2012, at 10:50 AM, Ronald Butters wrote:

> From 1890-1960, at least in the eastern counties, the majority of immigrants were from "Canada, Finland, Sweden, and Ireland" ("Prehistoric, historic, and present settlement patterns related to ecological hierarchy in the Eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan USA"; Landscape Ecology 12 [1997]: 223–240; p237). Why single out the Finns?

If you listen to the Youpertalk albums, you can tell there's a strong influence from Finnish, in the vowels as well as the absence of dental fricatives.  It may vary for different areas of the U.P., and of course some of the Finnish or Swedish immigrants to the U.P. may have spent time in Canada en route, but I don't know if I'd be capable of detecting a "Canadian substrate", whatever that would amount to.  Also the Youpertalk albums have some songs such in Finnish.  None in Canadian.  I can't detect any Irish influences in the speech patterns, as opposed to, say, speech patterns in early 20th c. New York or Boston English.  I admit, this is pretty impressionistic stuff.

LH