heifer

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Feb 14 15:58:59 UTC 2012

On Feb 14, 2012, at 10:42 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.

True enough; a bit of obfuscation on my part, as usual.

> I guess I out-sophisticated myself once again by assuming that
> everybody would regard bulls and cows as subsets of "bovines."

I thought as a true New Yorker, you'd think of them all as basically cows.

> This has been known around our house for about twenty years or so as
> "too much education."
>
> Especially since many people presumably don't know what "heifer" means.

An actual query: are _heifer_ and _filly_ the *only* terms that are glossed as 'a female X that has never given birth'?  Maybe there are parallel words for pre-parturitional sheep and pigs; as a true New Yorker, I wouldn't know.  It's odd that we don't seem to have such a word where X = human, especially since we do have words like "primipara".  (I remember my wife's reaction at age 38 when she was referred to at OB-GYN as an "elderly primipara".)

LH