Great article in the Times on Vocal Fry

Nancy Friedman nancyf at WORDWORKING.COM
Wed Feb 29 15:49:57 UTC 2012

Regarding the clippings, Stan Carey and Ben Yagoda each wrote about this phenomenon recently.

"Ledgebag Is Totes Amaze" (Stan Carey)  http://stancarey.wordpress.com/2012/01/19/ledgebag-is-totes-amaze/

"Totes Cray-Cray Abbrevs" (Ben Yagoda in Lingua Franca, the Chronicle of Higher Education's language blog)
 http://chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2012/01/20/totes-cray-cray-abbrevs/

And I wrote about these and other clippings in a post about Nutrish, Rachael Ray's dog-food brand:
http://nancyfriedman.typepad.com/away_with_words/2012/02/totes-adorbs-dog-food.html

(I've almost always seen the "obviously" clipping spelled "obvs" or "obv.")

_______

Word of the week:  Intercalary. http://nancyfriedman.typepad.com

Nancy Friedman
web  www.wordworking.com