"payback"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Feb 29 15:58:49 UTC 2012

For unknown reasons I have not yet received this message by Victor.
On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com>wrote:
 > No, Joel. Most libraries carry the 1942-1946 volumes because of the war.
 > The journal had been published since 1898. Only Brandeis and UConn carry
 > the full pre-war range in the Northeast. I've checked every library that
 > comes up on WorldCat--all of them have only the war years. Google is
 > right, for a change.
 >
 > I am certain of the Hawaii bibliographic data being correct.
 >
 >    VS-)

I have no problem with the Hawaii bibliographic
data.  It said (as reported by Victor)
>Local Notes: UHM: Detached from Asia, v.23, no.8, August 1923.

That is (I assume) their short title for the same
journal both I and George cited:

I --
>Harvard lists a periodical titled "Asia :
>journal of the American Asiatic Association"
>whose vol. 17 is 1917; that might make a vol. 23 be 1923.

George --
>NYPL's catalog shows that it has vol. 23, 1923
>of "Asia: Journal of the American Asiatic Association"

My problem is with the Google metadata.  It gives
a title of "Asia and the Americas, Volume
23".  That was not the title for this journal in 1923.

Victor wrote:
>Yes. It was the Journal of the American Asiatic
>Association until 1917, then changed its name. I
>believe the name was changed again in 1946.

Harvard says that "Asia and the Americas"\was
published "[Vol. 42, no. 11] (Nov. 1942)-[v. 46,
no. 12] (Dec. 1946)" and "Continues: Asia (New
York, N.Y. : 1917) ISSN:0891-3536".  So the name
changed in 1942, and perhaps again in
1947.  (Harvard does not have a "Continued by"
note, so perhaps it ceased in 1946.  [As ordered
by MacArthur?  :-) ]  Or perhaps the Harvard
bibliographers missed its next incarnation.  They
are not without error, as I have become notorious
for pointing out -- they know my name.)

Victor wrote (see above):
 > The journal had been published since 1898.

Under a different title, "Journal of the American
Asiatic Association", which "Began publication
with: July 1898 issue; ceased publication with: Jan. 1917 issue."

Victor also wrote:
 > Only Brandeis and UConn carry the full pre-war
range in the Northeast. I've checked every library that
 > comes up on WorldCat--all of them have only the war years.

If Victor looked only for the title "Asia and the
Americas", which WorldCat lists as 1942-1946, he
might not have found other libraries, those
listing the title as "Asia: Journal of the
American Asiatic Association".  But when I search
WorldCat for "Asia and the Americas", the 3rd
listing is "Asia : journal of the American
Asiatic Association. by American Asiatic
Association.", "Publisher: New York : Asia Pub.
Co., ©1917-[©1942]" -- that is, including the
year 1923.  Clicking on that brings up as the
first library "Harvard College Library";
following that will show that Tozzer holds 1923.

Fortunately, I did not need to search the
additional 27 libraries in the Northeast (if that
means New England) that might also hold the 1923
issue.  But it's not only Victor's Brandeis and
UConn that claim to hold 1923 -- in addition to
Harvard, the MIT library also holds 1923.  And
there might be others -- I didn't check further.

I still believe Google's metadata is faulty -- it
gives a title for a 1923 issue of a journal that
did not use that title in 1923.

Joel