escalator

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 9 20:44:48 UTC 2012

Also adjectival use (as in "escalator clause"), which is all that OED has.

http://goo.gl/IP1Up
> Tebow has an escalator of $250,000 in his contract for each playoff
> victory assuming he participated in at least 70 percent of Denver's
> plays during the requisite season, according to an NFL source.

This is the first time I've seen it "naked", but there is likely to be more.

The meaning matches the OED definition /exactly/, aside from the
"attrib." part:

> 2. /attrib/., esp. designating a clause, contract, agreement, or the
> like, that provides for an increase (occas., a decrease) in prices,
> wages, armaments, etc., to meet specified contingencies.

This does not match, however, 1.a. and 1.b.

     VS-)