dime

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 15 06:52:42 UTC 2012

A couple more instances from ESPN post-game coverage after SF-NO playoff
game.

> Talk about a dime!

This was a comment by Marcellus Wiley about one of New Orleans
touchdowns. A few minutes later he used similar language to describe a
San Francisco touchdown.

But ESPN was not done yet. Late post-game NFL Primetime used the footage
for the winning SF touchdown as the "Primetime Dime" feature. I have no
idea if this is a regular feature or just a special category for today
(but it had its own special logo).

In an entirely different context, in Season 5 Episode 7 of Psych, the
word "dime" appears several times.
> 00:17:17
> Shawn: Yeah, man, he's right.
> I ain't trying to die.
>
> Craig (Chi McBride): Look, man, you ain't
> the only one with a dime piece
> 00:30:15
> Juliet: Hey, guys, any new leads?
>
> Craig: How you feel, mama?
>
> Shawn: Dude...Really?
>
> Craig: She a dime piece.
>
> Shawn: Dime piece?
> ?: What is that,
> like an invisible stopwatch
> ?: or a chocolate coin?
>
> Juliet: It's a hot woman.
> A ten.
> And thank you.
>
> Craig: Oh, yeah.
>
> ?: Wow
>
> Craig: You ain't the only one
> with a dime piece
> waiting for him out there.
>
> ?: Dime piece.
> Craig: Northcutt has a girlfriend.

I don't have the recording, so I was reconstructing some of the dialog
from memory and some from available soundtrack pieces (Hence some lines
attributed to "?").

A couple more football-related comments.

On overnight SportsCenter (1 am ET):

"People of San Francisco have been Tebowing for years waiting for Alex
Smith to emerge."

This seems to be just a straight substitute for "praying" rather than an
association with the specific Tebowing gesture.

"The Show", "the Big Show", "going to the Big Show" are references to 1)
major leagues (baseball, hockey or something else) or 2) the playoffs or
some sort of a championship game (e.g., the World Series, the Superbowl,
the All-Star Game, etc.). I am not sure if any of the phrases are used
in the UK, although I've heard the reference in a couple of soccer
(football) broadcasts in reference to some players from lower-level
leagues being transferred to top-tier teams (e.g., from a Championship
team to a Premiership team in England). But in all cases it was in US
broadcasts of English games, so I'm not sure of the provenance of the
phrasing. Whatever the case, "the Bigs" is in the OED, but the variants
on "The Show" are not (show n.1 15.b. refers to military battles or
campaigns--both for The Show and The Big Show).

Final comment: "showboating" is listed in the OED as a derivative under
"showboater", but not under "showboat v.". That makes no sense.

     VS-)