dime

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 15 14:35:28 UTC 2012

One more, reprising a construction we've been discussing:  Mike Francesa, on his syndicated TV/Radio "Football Sunday" analysis show this morning, tells us that "The Niners are worthy of respect. If you had watched them this year and hadn't gone to sleep on them, especially in December, you saw that this team was legitimate".

I noticed the "dime" references on ESPN, and while Victor doesn't speculate, my assumption is that while they do indeed refer to "dropping a dime", (as opposed to say the dime that someone or something can stop on), they differ from the "drop a dime on" that alludes to turning someone (e.g. a confederate) in to the authorities, as we've discussed earlier.  In this football usage, the dime represents a very small object that can (or can't) be dropped into a very tight place (thrown accurately to a receiver closely covered).  But it is probably is related to the basketball "assist" sense Victor mentions as well.

Interesting about the generalization of "Tebowing", which I hadn't heard but isn't too surprising.  As for "the show" = 'the major leagues' as in Victor's sense 1) below, I think its trajectory received a big boost at the time from the movie _Bull Durham_.

LH