mysteries of rhetorical nuance

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 2 18:49:04 UTC 2012

As I drove down a shady lane the other day, I noticed a small church by the
roadside, which exhibited rhetorically remarkable marquee.

It said,

LIFE WITHOUT JESUS
HOW'S THAT WORKING OUT FOR YOU?

I laughed. The idiom framing the question seemed carefully chosen to be wry
and suggestive rather than solemn and direct, like those I've seen on many
similar marquees.

Essay 1: Precisely what is the incongruity that makes the question seem
intentionally humorous? How might one explain the nuance to a non-native
speaker?

Essay 2: What are the chances that the letterer didn't see anything funny
or unusual about it?

JL