too = 'either'

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jun 12 22:02:16 UTC 2012

Jon,

I'm now thoroughly confused by your original message (below) and most
of the rest of the chain.

Were you saying that Jesse's comment means "either", and "too" =
'either' is peculiar (or worse)?

I agree with the latter, but I disagree with the former.  I see the
utterance (CNNs?) as meaning "also, and" -- that is, what was said
could have been phrased "And no Democrats (also)" or "Also no
Democrats".  As I took virtually all of the other examples of "too"
to mean "and".

Besides which, "No Republicans! No Democrats *either*!" surely would
mean "No Republicans. *And* no Democrats", not "No Republicans *or*
no Democrats".

I'm beginning to feel that understanding this is essential to my
evaluating candidates' statements and positions before I vote in the
fall elections.  :-)

Joel