too = 'either'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 13 15:05:40 UTC 2012

Joel,

Yes, to me 'either' = "too" is extremely peculiar, though obviously
unambiguous.

I'll admit that I didn't make the connection with the song, but that
doesn't matter because Lennon's usage just pushes the weirdness back a
generation.

Even "[And] also no Democrats!" sounds weird to me. "And no Democrats!"
however, sounds fine.

The strangeness may come from the seeming redundancy of "and" plus "too."
> Besides which, "No Republicans! No Democrats *either*!" surely would
mean "No Republicans. *And* no Democrats", not "No Republicans *or*
no Democrats".
I'm not sure I follow this. All I can say is that the underlying message
was the abolition of political parties. Thus, no more Republicans *and* no
more Democrats (either).

Jon