[VAR-L] Alan Duncan issues memo at DFID banning jargon words such as 'going forward'

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Mon Jun 25 13:45:47 UTC 2012

On Jun 25, 2012, at 6:05 AM, Martin Kaminer wrote:

> Is it my imagination or does this fellow hold the same ministerial post as the protagonist of "In The Loop"?  If so . . . not terribly surprising somehow.  Getting harder and harder to satirize real life.
>
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Fwd: [VAR-L] Alan Duncan issues memo at DFID banning jargon words
>              such as 'going forward'

see

http://www.dfid.gov.uk/About-us/Our-organisation/Ministers/Alan-Duncan/

DFID is the Department for International Development; Duncan is Minister of State for International Development

and yes, the Simon Foster character in _In the Loop_ (played by Tom Hollander) is indeed Minister for International Development.

arnold