"Drop a hard _J_"

Tue Mar 6 21:05:22 UTC 2012

"Speaking of _Major_, Major Lance was hardly the first black male to
bear that as a first name. During my childhood, I had a couple of
schoolmates by that name. And I really envied them for their cool
name. And when I discovered that "Frank" Willis was officially
"Franklin Delano Roosevelt" Willis, OMG!
"But that was then."

Wilson:
Check out:
The fastest bicycle rider in the world; the autobiography of Major Taylor.
(Major Taylor, 1878-1932)

You will no doubt be the first kid on your block to have read it.  There
have been a couple of books about him recently, too.

I was going to forward the entry on him in the A-A National Biography, if
there is one, but find that that work's not on-line.  Surely that is
regressive, for a work planned and carried out so recently?

GAT
--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.