Antedating of "Television"

Mon Mar 12 09:50:59 UTC 2012

The January 1907 cite is an excellent advance over the June 1907 cite
in the OED. The March 1906 cite below appears to be valid and was
posted by me to the list in 2009. It also mentions Korn. --Garson

Citation: 1906 March, "Engineering Progress: Telegraphing a Portrait"
in The Technical World Magazine, page 87, Vol. V, No. 1.

[Begin excerpt]
Professor Korn believes that his apparatus will allow of a tele-vision
after the time of transmission of the photographs has been further
reduced.

In principle tele-vision is, it is true, possible even now, provided a
very high number of conductors be used, complicating in proportion the
transmitting and receiving apparatus. Owing, however, to the
prohibitory cost, this process of tele-vision is at present quite
impracticable, while there are no theoretical reasons in the way of a
future realization of this dream of so many inventors – Dr. Alfred
Gradenwitz.
[End excerpt]

http://goo.gl/KWTVJ