How many layers of obfuscation on the average euphemism?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 12 20:15:02 UTC 2012

On Mar 12, 2012, at 3:52 PM, Larry Sheldon wrote:

> On 3/12/2012 2:22 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>
>> http://www.theforumsite.com/forum.php?p=3D4944601
>
> Not Found
>
> --
Hmmm.  Works for me.  OK, since you insist, here it is in a slightly different variant:

The boss was in a quandary. Times were hard and he had to get rid of one of his staff. He had narrowed it down to one of two employees, Debra and Jack. It would be a hard decision to make, as they were equally qualified and both were diligent and did excellent work. He finally decided that in the morning whichever one used the water cooler first would have to go.
Debra came in early the next morning, a bit unsteady and seriously hung over after a late party. She went right to the cooler to get some water to wash down her ibuprofens. The boss followed her to the water cooler, tapped her on the shoulder and quietly gave her the news as she swallowed the pills: "Debra, I'm really sorry, but I have to lay you or Jack off."

Debra replied,

[Spoiler space]

"You'll have to jack off; I have a major headache."

LH