How many layers of obfuscation on the average euphemism?

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at COX.NET
Mon Mar 12 20:47:29 UTC 2012

On 3/12/2012 3:15 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2012, at 3:52 PM, Larry Sheldon wrote:
>
>> On 3/12/2012 2:22 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>> =20
>>> http://www.theforumsite.com/forum.php?p=3D3D4944601
>> =20
>> Not Found
>> =20
>> --
> Hmmm.  Works for me.  OK, since you insist, here it is in a slightly =
> different variant:

Still doesn't for me.  I don't see why.

Oh, well.

> The boss was in a quandary. Times were hard and he had to get rid of one

[snip]

Ah, yes.  The treacheries of the language.

I encountered that sort of thing while I was in high school.

The seating in the press box in the football stadium was arranged with
the faculty advisor nearest the door to take (and approve) messages and
such, a coach from each team, the spotter (talking by telephone to one
of his side) for the visitors, me (the stadium announcer), our spotter,
the scoreboard operator, and the PA operator.

The stadium's bleachers on the home side was a building with locker
rooms, ROTC armory and small arms range and restrooms.

And at the time of interest, under intensive renovation, that included
major changes th the restrooms and the temporary installation of what
are now called "Portopotties".

Just before half-time, a note was passed down from the door (not of
itself and uncommon occurrence, but it turns out, for me a deadly trap).

We were taught never to read things cold, but the note was long and the
time was short and it had been approved, so I started reading,
explaining the construction going on, and saying "....due to the
changes, the women should now use the new restroom in the central tunnel
["Women" previously had been at the north end, "Men" in the central
tunnel] while the men were to go down on the field".  [referring to the
Portopotties along the track under the edge of the bleachers]

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: