Probably not the first example of this one, but...

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Thu Mar 15 00:16:04 UTC 2012

On Mar 14, 2012, at 4:46 PM, Larry Sheldon wrote:

> On 3/14/2012 6:37 PM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>
>> you know, people spend serious time assembling resources like this.
>> if people *on this list* aren't going to take advantage of the
>> resources -- or contribute to them -- there really isn't much impetus
>> for the rest of us to bother with the project.
>
> I'm learning!  I'm learning.  Dint know it existed.

i wasn't addressing you, but Wilson Gray, who knows damn well about this resource but can't be bothered to consult it.

i've assembled a huge list of resources and blogs on language, on my website, but it's too big to be immediately useful.  i would suggest that ADS assemble a short list of resources that we cite all the time -- the OED, AHD, NOAD, DARE, HDAS, Green's Dictionary, *MWDEU* (please please), the ecdb, the scdb, etc., not to mention the archives of the ADS (we repeatedly cycle through discussions of phenomena as if they'd never come up before), Language Log, and a few other inguablogs -- but there's really no point if readers don't know that there might be such a thing, what it is, and how to consult it.

(this is an intrinsic problem with the internet, and it has no solution that i can see.  but newbies are pretty much blameless in this.)

arnold