More euphemisms: "pervasive language"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 17 17:38:53 UTC 2012

On Mar 17, 2012, at 9:25 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Clearly in these cases, which I've been noticing for several years,
> "language" means "offensive language" precisely as Neal says.
>
> I've even heard news stories where somebody was accused of using, without
> further elaboration in the *immediate* context, "some language."
>

> JL

I wonder whether one of the spurs to this narrowed usage might be the frequent use of the big label L for "language" on television shows and broadcast movies (not only at the start but when they come back from commercial interruptions) as one of the options along with S(ex), N(udity), D(rug use), V(iolence), and whatever else I'm forgetting.

LH