More euphemisms: "pervasive language"

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at COX.NET
Sat Mar 17 17:43:58 UTC 2012

On 3/17/2012 8:27 AM, Amy West wrote:

> So here's my question: is it "pervasive" that is including the idea of
> foulness/offensive/crude language or is it "language" that is including
> the idea of the nastiness of it? In this ellision, which term is
> carrying the implied connotation? Does it matter?
>
> And is it an intentional phrasing, or did something get dropped
> accidentally? How pervasive is "pervasive language", Joel?

I am not Joel, I am not an expert in this or any nearby area, I just try
to use English to communicate.
Much of what I know (or "know") I learned from context.

Thus, I take it that "pervasive language" mean "Bill Maher", not "Gone
With The Wind".

I've recently started watching TV a little again, and there seems to be
a whole complex system of "rating" (which used to refer to the whole
movie and had values like "riveting", "boring",and so on) that I have
not been able to fathom except to say that the likelihood is high that
if I could not decode the "rating", I won't much enjoy the show.

Maybe "D" means "for Dunces"?

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: