hero etymology

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at COX.NET
Sun Mar 18 21:39:52 UTC 2012

On 3/18/2012 4:16 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2012, at 5:01 PM, Larry Sheldon wrote:
>> On 3/18/2012 3:39 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

>> Sounds like what we called "submarine sandwiches" farther down the
>> Atlantic Coast.
>
> Ah, but not in Philly, right?  It's a "hoagie" there.  And elsewhere
> in the east, a grinder, a torpedo, or other names I'm forgetting.
> (Yes, a submarine = a torpedo, at least in the sandwich world.)

I was thinking the roach coaches on the piers in Norfolk, but now,
seeing some of the other names I'm not so sure anymore.

I I paused for a moment of reverence for the "Frisco Special" made by
the man whose name was on the shop on Mission near Second in San
Francisco.  His name escaped me just as I was about to type it--starts
with a "C".  [Time passes--Cervante's]

The only occurrence of "Frisco" west of the Sierra that did not start a
riot, so far as I know.

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: