Welsh is not as distant as Basque, Maltese, or Apache

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 20 01:39:48 UTC 2012

I'm curious and sincere: How does one measures how distant one language is
from another? We have language families grouping together similar
languages. I'm just an amateur, but I would guess families share common
word roots and grammatical structures.

English, however, while sharing common word roots with its inflected
Indo-European cousins is now mostly uninflected. How does one measure
dissimilarity? Is there any standard way of measuring this in Linguistics?

Eric