Computer Mice or Mouses?

Sallie Lemons sallmns at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 21 20:47:10 UTC 2012

It was a toss up between attorneys. One referenced "painintheenglish.com" and I thought you might have a better/clearer/more definitive take.

-----Original Message-----
From: W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>
To: ADS-L <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Wed, Mar 21, 2012 3:45 pm
Subject: Re: Computer Mice or Mouses?

ender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
oster:       W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>
ubject:      Re: Computer Mice or Mouses?
Sallie Lemons wrote:   <<<Computer Mice or Mouses? This has probably been
andled here but it has come up again at my work. Is there a definitive
nswer?>>>
B:  First of all, Sally should give us a tally of her colleagues on the
ssue.   My usage:  I tend towards <mouses>, maybe because it is
nambiguously associated with the computer context, and I do not like the
ound of <mice>. My guess is that people who prefer <mice> fear being
onsidered lesser educated if they should use <mouses>. It is a dilemma. My
oathing of the little rodents is stronger than my fear of ostracism. Let
s call the damn things something else.