1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 2 20:12:29 UTC 2012

CAVEAT: It may be that the only reason that the problematic strip was found
 at all is that somebody saw it in the book and Googled it via Google News.

If it's in the book, it's ultimate significance may remain a mystery.

If it isn't, perhaps a prudish editor silently elided it in 2010.

But what if there's a different word entirely, as neatly lettered as you
please?

And could perusal of this work steer us to other papers that carried
"Archie" in 1947 for comparison?

Tune in next week....

JL