"the finger" in 1932 Hollywood epic (UNCLASSIFIED)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon May 14 18:03:48 UTC 2012

--

Me, I've generally seen the gesture initiated from a closed fist (of
course in the usual case out the car window one may not be able to see

"Give the finger" was usual ca. 1960 in my experience as I recall. I do
not recall hearing "give the bird" until ca. 1970.

There are/were (in my limited experience)  many many 'witty' remarks to
accompany the "finger" (or other comparable rude gesture), including
"You like fish? Then [you can] perch on this", "You like cigars? Here's
one for you" [brand sometimes named], etc., etc. Probably there's a big
list of these somewhere.

-- Doug Wilson