"the finger" in 1932 Hollywood epic (UNCLASSIFIED)

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Mon May 14 18:44:56 UTC 2012

Wiki claims the finger goes back to ancient Rome where it was called
"digitus impudicus." Dunno. However, interesting to note its spread since
the 1980's or so. Used to be, here in Brazil, the finger was unknown. The
equivalent sign was what Americans might think of as a reverse OK sign. That
is, circle made with thumb and index finger, other three fingers straight
out, but with the back of the hand turned toward the target individual
(usually - it was also occasionally seen turned the other way too). The OK
sign in American movies and TV was occasion here for lots of giggles. Not so
anymore. Now, the "reverse OK" is virtually unknown among younger
generations, the American-style finger being the signal of choice. Likewise
in the UK. Used to be their hand-delivered insult was a backwards V sign,
made with the index and middle fingers. Now they seem to use the middle
finger pretty much exclusively too. I've also seen the finger on the
Continent in recent years, in places where the upward-folded-arm used to
hold sway. The first time (off the top of my head) that I remember seeing a
finger in a movie was in Easy Rider. From then on it became prevalent, and
my WAG is that it was movies that unified the world behind the finger.
DAD

Poster:       "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET>