dropping -ed in adjectives

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed May 16 17:55:26 UTC 2012

A follow-up . . .

One of my students who consistently uses "bias" for "biased" is a young
female white Massachusetts native and a country music fan. In checking
out one of her sources here are lyrics from a Toby Keith song wherein he
uses "prejudice" where SE would use "prejudiced":

Breaks his heart seein' foreign cars

filled with fuel that isn't ours

and wearin' cotton we didn't grow....

He ain't prejudice.

He's just -- made in America.

Downes, Lawrence. "Toby Keith's American Dream." /New York Times/ 10
Oct. 2011: A22(L). /Gale Biography In Context/. Web. 16 May 2012.

So . . . I'm beginning to think that I'm just noticing a dialectal
variant wherein the -ed is being dropped from adjectives. Maybe it's
being picked up from Southern and AAVE dialects via country music and
hip-hop?

Sorry if this is a) basic and b) obvious.

---Amy West

(And the irony is that she wrote her paper on Southern dialect in
country music. . .) (And the idea of New England country music fans is
just a difficult one for me to wrap my preconceptions around.)