Quote: I know only two tunes; one is Yankee Doodle, and the other isn't. (U. S. Grant variant Lincoln)

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 16 20:15:06 UTC 2012

Garson beat me to the punch on this one, but also check out Grant
biographies from 1890 and 1915 (?) that give slightly different versions of
the anecdote. The earlier one gives "One is Yankee Doodle and one isn't".

But there are several similar comments from the period, including one that
implicates Mark Twain, for a change. Here we have an expression that has
/not/ been attributed to him and he actually had something to say on the
subject.

Unfortunately, I can't post the details right now, but will do so later,
unless Garson beats me to it.

VS-)