king-pin Part III

Mon May 21 13:42:51 UTC 2012

"One of the copies of Barrett's book above and the copy of Vigor
GB lists as authored by Joseph Alfred Scoville. Was "Walter Barrett" a
pseudonym? Indeed that appears to be the case."

It seems that J. A. Scoville was a businessman whose career foundered
because he was a drunk.  He became a journalist and the founder-editor of
the New York Pick, "A Journal of Fun and Temperance", in 1852.  I don't
think it thrived much: only a few issues survive.  You may have met it here
-- I may have posted a word or two from it, a few years ago.    He did his
journalism under his own name, his book on the Old Merchants under the
pseudonym.  (I didn't know he had written novels: thanks, Victor.)

GAT

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com>wrote:

> These are all going with king-pin 1., but what about king-pin 2.? If my
> guess is correct, there should be earlier instances of the figurative
> expression, irrespectively if the mechanical one existed. And we have a
> winner (sort of).
>
> http://goo.gl/lUmUH
> The old merchants of New York City. By Walter Barrett. New York: 1862
> [GB: 1864]
> p. 140
> > It is a very curious fact, that while E. D. Morgan made his wealth out
> > of the Southern planters, he should have turned against them in after
> > years, and became a King Pin in the ranks of the Republicans. Of late
> > years grocer and Governor E. D. Morgan has engaged in various
> > speculations, especially in railroads. He has the credit of being, to
> > a certain extent, intimate with both Democrats and Republicans.
>
> As the Governor of New York, E. D. Morgan became the de facto leader of
> the New York Republican Party.
> ***
>

> p. 220
> > All the rich people were to live in " castles." Mr. Ward built the
> > first one. It is sixty feet square, and modelled after one in
> > Switzerland. It still stands as a land mark of old times -- still
> > called "Ward's Castle," and he still resides in it.
> > Those were white days, and Mr. Ward was a king-pin at New Brighton. I
> > recollect on one occasion a grand fancy ball came off. Mr. Ward
> > appeared as General Washington. He was dressed precisely as the old
> > hero, even to the dress when he took the oath as President at the
> > corner of Nassau and Wall street. Anybody who was not posted would
> > have supposed that Mr. Ward was the real General Washington.
>
> Mr. Ward is yet another city /leader/, not merely an important cog in
> the city machinery.
>
> http://goo.gl/PMmqa
> Garret van Horn: or, The beggar on horseback. By John S. Sauzade. New
> York: 1863
> p. 124
> > Off we trudged through Chatham Square and up the Bowery, smoking
> > cinnamon cigars, and discussing the relative merits of Tom Hamblin and
> > Jim Wallack, until we arrived at a tavern called the "King-Pin House,"
> > situated in one of the eastern avenues.
>
> This one is utterly inconclusive. But both books were printed by the
> same publisher, Carleton, at 413 Broadway. So was Walter Barrett's novel
> Vigor! One of the copies of Barrett's book above and the copy of Vigor
> GB lists as authored by Joseph Alfred Scoville. Was "Walter Barrett" a
> pseudonym? Indeed that appears to be the case.
>
> http://goo.gl/3jqbB
> Vigor: A novel. By Walter Barrett. New York: 1864
> p. 174
> ***
>

> The same text appears a bit earlier and with some minor changes in
> another 1864 novel, but one published in London: Marion. By
> "Manhattan"--whom WorldCat and GB also list as Joseph Alfred Scoville.
> http://goo.gl/55XYn

> [...]

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.