sashimied

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 29 22:53:16 UTC 2012

On Iron Chef USA (one of the Food Network channels, not sure which one),
one of the judges made a comment that her "lobster was a little
sashimied" and that she prefers lobster "a little bit more cooked". It
seems to be an interesting euphemism for "raw". At the moment, this is
just one-off episode, but I'd watch out for reprise among foodies.

The verb does exist, but usually for other purposes. In one case, it's
not really a verb, but just a verbed noun in "Xed out" construction
("Too much of a good thing" and all that).

http://www.foodiefixation.com/archives/298
http://twitter.com/manndy/status/25572456689
http://twitter.com/cameron_kim/status/74684774593212416

The actual verb is used for describing turning something into sashimi,
i.e., preparing it for being eaten raw, in slices--usually for fish
(also molluscs and arthropods) , but I've heard it used for other foods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCLd05CC08s
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ext212/4658538860/
http://www.myspace.com/taiwanjack/photos/1478572

http://goo.gl/K4Zso

http://goo.gl/FbGXS
> I'll tell you what I had in Japan that I was more worried about: raw
> chicken. They served me up sashimi-ed up slices of raw chicken and I
> was halfway through my first disgusting slice when the warning bells
> went off in my head. I asked them "what's this?" "raw chicken". Raw
> fucking chicken! I couldn't believe that they'd eat that, I refused to
> have any more of it. They were all "but it's good fresh chicken!" :freak:

[In case anyone is wondering, there is more danger of
salmonella--brought up in the discussion on that page--from raw eggs
than from raw chicken. Mass-produced chicken in the US is more likely to
be contaminated with listeria; salmonella in chicken is more likely to
come from contact with other things during processing.]

http://goo.gl/JXAl3
[Bonus: Ike Jime]
> When we left off, Chef Suzuki had sashimied up a bunch of fish for us
> to taste. Unfortunately, the fish was really too fresh.

I found one extension for just prepping fish:

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/2334194
http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/2491441

Another extended use is for suffering a series of cuts.

http://goo.gl/OIDzt
> In December 2007, at a break called “Egypt” in Maui, Hamilton and
> Brett Lickle accomplished tow-surfing’s equivalent of climbing Everest
> when they managed to ride a freakish swell of 100-foot waves. They
> survived that terrifying day, but only barely. After successfully
> riding one of these powerhouses, Lickle had his leg sashimied top to
> bottom, turning the thundering whitewater red. As he bled and neared
> death, a Herculean rescue effort by Hamilton saved him. The price of
> the day was high. An emotional retelling by Hamilton reveals he may
> have glimpsed something he fears more than death: “being pounded so
> bad that psychologically you don’t recover.” Lickle has never
> tow-surfed giant waves again.

This also appears to be the meaning here (getting killed--sliced up--by
the chef):

http://goo.gl/mkwZi
 > 22-07-2010, 08:33 AM
 > currymee
 >
 > Ok, so far, everyone is saying "good" polite Japanese - what about
negatives? :p (I don't mean expletives - that one I know already :D )

 > Example: If the food is tasteless - how do you say in the LEAST
OFFENDING manner without getting sashimi-ed by the chef ? :eek:

It does appear that Ai Weiwei (or translator) used it metaphorically,
although I am not entirely sure what he meant.

http://goo.gl/OYVXc

And a bizarre one from UD:

http://goo.gl/r5Xsu
> 1. raw like sashimi
>
> Also simply called RLS, 'Raw Like Sashimi' refers to the music blog by
> the same name but has now started becoming both a verb and noun
> amongst the vast blogging community. It means when one wants something
> related to music, immediately.
> [Ex. 1] "You want the new Madonna album? Well, just get online and raw
> like sashimi it!"
>
> [Ex. 2] "All this raw like sashimi-ing tonight has my eyes all tired.
> I think I'll go to bed"
>
> [Ex. 3] "I've bee searching for some good french music. Do you think
> if I raw like sashimi-ed my query, Id get lucky?"
>
> by Verbia Mar 25, 2006

Note that the entire "raw like sashimi" is being treated as a verb, not
just "sashimi".

VS-)