Ben's rando, Virginia's retronyms

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 30 00:51:29 UTC 2012

I'm going to revive a two-year old thread.

To make JL happy, I have another citation for "convo" (although it's
been more common in writing than in speech IME). And a bonus for the
"hot dogs are gay" files.

http://goo.gl/jZ79z
> In other news, George is convinced that both his ex-wife and daughter
> are gay, and he has a long conversation with Nora and Griffin about
> whether or not the 4th of July is a "gay holiday." You know, because
> apparently hot dogs are gay. No words for this convo, gang. No words.

This also seems to be a good site for euphemisms and other assorted
goodies. First, from the same page, then, perhaps, a few more. All in
good fun and strictly for the files--I make no claims about newness or
originality. It seems the writers are so eager to pretend to be
teen-cool that they bust out every single cliche and meme in the arsenal
(down to "true that" for "tru dat"). Also, avoid the interviews--real
teen-speak is far less intriguing.

snacked on her cookies [kissing?]
> If we know one thing about Grace, it's that there isn't a set of lips
> at Grant High she hasn't smooched. Ben, Grant, Ricky, Jack, Daniel --
> all these boys have snacked on Grace's cookies, and at this point
> she's run out of viable options.

sexprimental
> Enter Adrian, who is more than willing to get sexpirimental with her
> bestie!

Preggers City [preggers + X City]
> Turns out that almost everyone in Preggers City became bi-curious at
> the same time, and now not one, but three, of our favorite characters
> are getting their mack on with members of the same sex. Yes, please!

"take off school" [take time off from school? drop out?]
> She even wants to take off school because she's so upset about the
> rumors, but instead she ends up shouting "I'm not gay!" down the hallway.

snarkster [N + -ster]
> Despite rumors that she was shacked up at Moulin Rouge / pregnant
> under a bridge, our favorite snarkster is back in Cali-Cali with Anne.

mack [kiss?]
> Adrian's upset because Omar won't let her mack on other dudes for an
> entire week, so clearly she has no choice but to hit up her fellow
> females.

tonsil hockey [probably the oldest on this list, but why not--if we also
get to say that Cookie Monster is gay]
> Adrian sees right through Grace's scheme, and she's convinced The
> Cookie Monster is gay. The solution to this problem? A round of tonsil
> hockey, duh.

http://goo.gl/8CHsy

T-minus [another oldie, but syntax seems a bit different IMO]; sausagey
[N + -y --pretty standard stuff, but euphemistic]
> It's T-minus less than a week until our lives fill with the sausagey
> glory that is The Secret Life of the American Teenager!

worst idea EVER [strictly or JL's collection--this is not an obvious
case of this particular prosodic meme, but it looks good for it to me]
> Sure, this is Amy's second stint as a child-bride, and yes, some might
> say this wedding is the worst idea ever, but haters to the left.

bridezilla, bat-crazy [oh, goody! "bridezilla" and "bat-crazy" in the
same sentence--who cares if it's usually "bat-shit crazy"?]
> Hopefully Amy will become a bridezilla -- extra points if she goes
> bat-crazy and starts punching walls like our girl Adrian "Churros" Lee.

[not sure how to classify this--but I suspect AZ might be able to do
that; looks like a whole list of castration innuendo]
> Here's to hoping Amy gets her girl power on and starts up a business
> venture or two! Suggestions: Jarred meat sauce, canned meat scraps, or
> pink sausage.

http://goo.gl/O9OlN

hippie [new meaning or am I missing something?]
> [Q] Your co-star, Shailene Woodley, was in the spotlight this winter.
> Now she’s a Golden Globe nominee. Has that changed anything on the set?
>
> [A] Not at all. Shai is the most down-to-Earth, hippie in the best way
> possible, wonderful person. She’s such a joy to be around and she
> hasn’t changed at all. She’s a wonderful girl, the salt of the Earth.

http://goo.gl/j1xvV

side-take [verb for the mass act of taking sides -- I wish I were
kidding; it's not literally taking sides, though]
> Allen: So they’re side-taking because they've become their thing and I
> only have, what? Adrian to talk to now.

and everything
> Allen: Oh, my gosh. The first time I heard that it was like a week
> before we started shooting, and we hadn't got the script yet. And
> someone comes up to me and was like, “Hey. Did you read the next script?”
> And I was like “No, no. What happens?” “Oh, you and Francia.” “Me and
> Francia what?”
> She’s like, “You guys hook up.” And I was like “No way!”
> So I went crazy, and I texted her, and she's like, “What?” So she
> called in and everything because it would be so awkward.

Will end with a one-liner from a TV episode [Bones?] that I've seen but
do not recall in detail (used in the title of the post):

http://goo.gl/A8vDh
"I'm Tri-sexual. I’ll Try Anything Once!"