Dialect clash

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 1 18:31:05 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> both words are pronounced the same

But, my point is that, for me, they're *not* pronounced the same,
because my dialect is different from that of the voice-overer. For me,
_you're_ falls together with "ewer" and not with "yore." I don't
understand how or why *anybody* contracts [ju ar] to [jor] and not to
[jur]. (It's as perverse as pronouncing _goin'_ as "gwine"! WTF,
y'all!)

Hence, I heard the voice-over guy's "You're Whole!" as "Your Hole!"
_Your hole_ is gross when addressed by a man to women, unless the
context is *very* clear.

--
-Wilson
-----